Cataract Direct Referral
From 3rd September 2018, there will be a new Cataract Direct Referral Scheme:
The Patient must have a Dudley CCG GP. You may be able to offer this to patients with a Birmingham or Black Country CCG GP, but you need to be aware there are some differences in protocol that you will need to follow.
The scheme allows you to provide assessment and management of patients presenting with signs and/or symptoms of cataract in either eye.
- Pupil dilation and examination by indirect ophthalmoscopy in order to establish whether there are any co-existing ocular disorders as well as cataract.
- Discussion of the health questionnaire and any outstanding issues dealt with.
- Communicating the potential advantages and disadvantages of cataract extraction
- Ascertaining the patient’s willingness for surgery including a patient self-assessment questionnaire
- Ensure the patient meets eligibility criteria.
- Offer Choice of provider
- Complete the web based Optomanager record. Optomanager then will automatically send referral to chosen provider and copy to GP for information for patients with a Dudley CCG GP.
All information you need to print will be available via the webstar platform.
If you are interested in taking part please see information here.
On the 3rd of September 2018 the old scheme will cease. No more referrals can be made using this scheme, or you will not be paid for them. Until 3rd September 2018, the follow applies:
With the demise of the PCTs, the successful and positively regarded area wide direct cataract referral scheme has come to an end. Dudley Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has agreed to commission a replacement scheme for Dudley.
NB ONLY PATIENTS WITH A DUDLEY CCG GP ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS SCHEME. If the patient is registered with a GP practice not in the , you will either have to refer them via their GP on a GOS18, or you may be able to join a scheme covering the patient’s GP’s CCG and refer via that scheme e.g. some practices in the Dudley area are registered and accredited to refer via the Wolverhampton scheme. For contact details of neighbouring LOCs please see here.
Below are documents related to the Dudley scheme. For more information on the workings of the scheme from an optometrist’s point of view please read the scheme guide and protocol below.